Sunday, November 6, 2011

How well do you sleep?

Are you aware of the importance of sleep when you are training on a daily basis?
and in the gym...

For many of us it's the glass ceiling. We know we need to sleep but life just gets in the way. The kids won't go to bed, your favorite show is on, still too much work to do. The thing is, your body heals itself when you sleep. That's when you recover. If you're sick, that's when you get better.

There is no set rule for how much sleep you need. I used to do great on five hours of sleep a night. When I increased my strength training, suddenly I find I need eight hours or more to feel rested. This is tough with a four month old, but I do my best.

Quantity may not be an issue for many of us, but how is your quality of sleep? If the quality of your sleep sucks, so will the quality of your recovery. There are a few things you can do to help greatly increase the quality of your sleep.
  • Get off the computer at least two hours before bedtime. The blue light from your monitor impedes melatonin production, which is the hormone that signals it's time for bed
  • Don't do anything in bed except sleep and make love. You want your brain to associate your bed with only those two things. Doing so will help you relax when you go to bed
  • Exercise regularly, but not within three hours before bedtime (unless that exercise comes from the tip above)
  • Keep a warm bed but a cool room
  • Don't watch stimulating TV right before bed or you'll be all wound up
  • Try using candles after sundown. Artificial light shuts down melatonin production but candles have no negative impact. This is one of my favorite's I find it creates a very relaxing atmosphere.
  • Start preparing for bed a good hour before bedtime and keep the same nightly ritual, you will create a habit which will tell your body to relax and prepare for sleep.
Good luck now tell me which sleep rule I am breaking right now?

WOD Monday 07 November 2011

Squat 3 rep max
and/or...
Power Snatch 3 sets, 5 reps at 75%

5 rounds as quick as possible
15 box jumps M24/F16"
15 DB swings M55/F35lbs

Cool down
2x2 minute plank

No comments:

Post a Comment

Caveman2.0